Thursday, November 10, 2011

Melvil Dewey: International Library Hip Hop Superstar

While scouring the internet, I came across a very charming (dare I say slightly cheesy) YouTube video called "Welcome to the Library." The video features a very silly looking man rapping about how awesome his library is.

YouTube suggested that I should also check out his other videos "The Dewey Decimal Rap" and "Library Card", which I did. Both were equally as amusing.

I decided to look further into this mysterious library rapper. It turns out that Melvil Dewey, as he's known, "teaches children the importance of libraries in our communities, advocates reading and introduces basic library skills. His first single, The Dewey Decimal Rap, has over half a million hits on YouTube and is being distributed worldwide by McGraw-Hill in 2012. Meanwhile, two of his music videos have been deemed by The Huffington Post as two of the nine funniest library videos ever. Complete with book turntables, a rapping book drop and golden library cards, this high-energy hip hop artist empowers children to speak up for their library and encourages them to become lifelong readers." (http://storyyeller.com/bio/)

How can you not like a goofy guy who raps to promote libraries? He brightened my day! I hope he brightens yours too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment