Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Change your words, change your world

The other day, my Auntie Corrie forwarded me a link to a commercial on youtube. It was for a company called Purplefeather and was a very moving representation of how a slight change in wording can drastically change the effect your message has on the world. The video reminded me to think about how libraries portray their messages to patrons. We've talked about this before in our blog, but I think it's worth mentioning again because I think positivity is contagious and if patrons have a good experience at your library, chances are they'll return and probably tell their friends to go too. Wouldn't you love for your library to be the place in your community that everybody loves to go to?

Take this sign, for example:
http://mrschu81.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/post-at-the-kanapaha-botanical-gardens/
I find this a much better and much more humorous reminder to parents than a sign saying "Please don't leave children unattended in he library"

Give it a try, if you haven't already. And if you have, let me know about it! I'd love to hear about how your library has changed your signage and how it's impacted the people who use your library!!

1 comment: